Sunday, October 29, 2006

Urgent adjustment required

OK. OK. I've seen this coming for some time ... My blogging is totally out of control. I'm sure I remember saying this before - several times. Didn't I once do a comment somewhere - 'My name's Debi ... and I'm a blogger ...'?

They say admitting to your addiction is the vital first step. But I admitted ages ago! How do I get to take the next step?

Discipline, of course. Now where do I get that from? Any offers?

This is the problem. It's got to the point (to be honest I arrived there some time ago) where my writing fits in round my blogging rather than vice versa. This is Not Good.

There are some good discussions on Skint and Pundy on the perennial why-we-blog issue. It's so good to communicate. I love the opinions, the stimulation, the meeting of minds, the cut and thrust of intelligent debate, the howls of laughter at my fellow bloggers' wit ... And then there's the creative process ... And the thought that it matters to get your voice out there ... and that maybe that next link could be the one to change your life ...

See? Hopeless addiction ...

BUT - I need to write this next book. It used to be the case that my work in progress would sit on my shoulder. I would be communing with it at all times whether bashing out words onto a page or not. Now it's all you lot sitting on my shoulder and the book is jumping up and down behind you, shouting 'Oy! Alper! What about me???'

So - here's yet another attempt to change those priorities so that the blog fits into the writing and not the other way round.

* I'll spend one full day a week dedicated to blog-surfing
* But I'll post whenever I feel the need to mouth off
* Other days I'll respond to comments on mine but stay away from the full blogroll

I'm under no illusions. It's gonna be hard. Very hard ...

I'll ... er start next week after Minx's launch ... Or maybe the week after ...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, discipline is the only way to get it all done. I work full time so apart from holidays I have to be very careful about my writing time. The pull of the blog is almost too much to bear sometimes but usually I can make deals with myself. An hours' writing allows me ten minutes on the blog. Except now of course, nearly midnight and the whole world is a playground. Less sleep, more bloggin'.

Anonymous said...

Oh come on Debi, you know you want to. Where's the harm?

There will be plenty of time next week, or next month or after Christmas . . .

Marie said...

I've been making similar rules, Debi. Saturday is the day when I try to check out all my blogroll. The rest of the week I read my favourite blogs and those who have commented on mine. I also try to respond to the comments on my blog daily.

The writing has to be top priority.

Hope you all have a fab time at the book launch! I'll be there in spirit.

Debi said...

Such good role models ...

I didn't realise this had posted - Blogger said it wasn't playing - and I was going to make an adjustment before publishing. Yes, already!

NEW PLAN

One day a week dedicated to blog.

Schedule for other days ... emails and letters etc. Respond to comments. Then WRITE WRITE WRITE.

Visits to blogs will only be permitted as rewards for productivity.

I AM going to be strict ...

I DO hate myself already ...

Saaleha said...

Good luck sweetie! I had a month of no blogging. BUt I missed it, and you guys too.

Anonymous said...

Blogs are bloody addictive, there's no doubt about that. And I have an addictive personaly anyway (not as in people get addicted me but that I easily get addicted to stuff) so it was a given that I'd spend waaaaay too much time knockin' around the blogosphere.

I do try to blog during the morning... work afternoons and evening and reward myself for productivity with a visit to two blogs of my choice (this happens every time I've finished an article or similar, or written at least 500 words of my WIP).

Notice the word try, though. Little word, big meaning, often ignored!

Anonymous said...

Please don't be too strict, Debi. You risk sending legions of hollow-eyed souls into the midnight streets, desperate, shivering, nothing to read. Not pretty...

Caroline said...

Don't leave us ... don't go away.
I am crying now!
An addiction shared is an addiction halved ... or is it doubled????
Cx

Caroline said...

Don't leave us ... don't go away.
I am crying now!
An addiction shared is an addiction halved ... or is it doubled????
Cx

Anonymous said...

I recommend rss (try www.bloglines.com).

All the blogs you want to read go to their website.

Then you can limit your daily blog (or weekly blog or whatever) to a set time, and know that you aren't missing anything as all the new posts are saved up by bloglines until your next time slot.

you can scroll down all the posts and check the ones you want to "keep" and return to later.

It is a really good way to help your time management.

Debi said...

well I'm feeling all sweet smelling and virtuous. Wrote a chapter today and here's my reward. Getting to see you guys for another brief glimpse before setting off tomorrow morning for Wales.

Next time you hear from me it'll be a post entitled something like '3 Go Mad in Cardiff'. Or 'They Came, They Saw, They Fell Over' ...

jta - thanks for the glimpse of Night of the Living Blogger. Made me giggle. You've obviously been encouraged by your well-deserved win of Minx's poetry competition.

Caroline - is the repetition deliberate? 'Doubled ...?' Or just a spooky coincidence?

Maxine - I know your suggestion is probably very sensible, but it's brought me out in a rash, I'm afraid. I'm sure I can get some balance if I concentrate on the priorities.

Bye y'all. Heading west very soon ... Rollin', rollin', rollin' ...

The Divine Mr. M said...

It seems to me your plan of action is very sensible. I am in two minds whether to tell you te get writing the novel or keep blogging.

I'm sure you will find the perfect balance

Anonymous said...

Very, very sensible Debi........but.......