Sunday, October 01, 2006

Nobody tells me nuffink!

Remember the post about Trading Tatiana being translated into Spanish? The deal was apparently negotiated last September, but I didn't find out about it until this June when Orion contacted me wanting to know if a photo of me taken by G could be used on the Spanish edition and in the brochure.

I asked for the publication date and was told it would be this September. So I've been checking the website of the Spanish publisher and ... it's not there!

I emailed Orion a few weeks ago to ask what's happening. They got back to me to say they would check. I emailed again a few days ago and was told they've received no reply as yet but would check with the sub-agent. I've had no direct contact with any of these people but, hey, I only wrote the book ...

Yesterday, my royalty statement arrived relating to the first 6 months of this year. Sadly, it showed the chasm that still exists between my original advance and the money made from sales so far (an author doesn't receive royalty payments or income from translation rights etc until the advance has been used up).

But the Spanish deal is there in black and white, so I know it's real. But don't expect any further details from me. Nobody tells me nuffink!

6 comments:

Marie said...

How frustrating for you, Debi.

Anonymous said...

Get on to your agent Debi!
Best of luck and I hope light is seen at the end of this tunnel and soon!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to order it so the chasm will be one teensy bit slimmer. Every little helps, as the mouse said when he peed in the ocean.

Debi said...

Unfortunately I didn't have an agent when I got the deal for my 1st 2 books, so the publishers have all the rights to them ...

Sharon - wouldn't the mouse drown? But thanks of course!

Anonymous said...

My sympathies, Debi. You are not alone though - I think it is something all authors suffer from.

I never even look at my royalty statements these days. I did look once and it was so unbelievably depressing that now I just shove it into a folder and try not to think about it.

Debi said...

wise words, Clare!