Friday, October 06, 2006

How some people get their kicks ...

G's a running man. He runs between 6 and 15 miles a day, 6 days a week. As he has insulin-dependant diabetes, regular exercise is part of his be-fit-live-longer masterplan.

He's 6'4" and, though skinny as the proverbial rake, you wouldn't want to mess with him. (Which is actually an illusion - he's a pussy cat. Whereas I may be a foot shorter but am far more scary!)

Anyway, yesterday he was out running through Greenwich in his lunch break when 3 guys started taunting him. It happens - don't ask me why. Only these particular dregs sprinted to run alongside him. And when they didn't get any response to their abuse, one of them kicked him. Hard. Being G, he didn't so much as stumble. He carried on running and very soon they were unable to keep up with him.

So now he has a large swelling on his thigh and a nasty gash where the boot caught him (he was wearing shorts).

Now - and this is a genuine question - can someone tell me what those guys got out of that???

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Antisocial personality disorder (APD) is a personality disorder which is often characterised by antisocial and impulsive behaviour. APD is generally (if controversially) considered to be the same as, or similar to, the disorder that was previously known as psychopathic or sociopathic personality disorder. Approximately 3% of men and 1% of women have some form of antisocial personality disorder (source: DSM-IV).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sociopath

Apparently we used to call them Psychopaths or sociopaths and we would expect them to start off torturing little animals. But it seems that in your husband's case the 3% of men found themselves together on this particular lunchtime.

Marie said...

That's terrible, Debi. I really don't know what's wrong with some people.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I would say the correct medical term for them would be- wankers!
And as there were a group of them they would be a "bunch of wankers" - which is the common terminology for a group of their type!
I'm fairly certain that this term can be applied to more than 3% of the male population though!

Other than being typical behaviour for wankers though, I really can't see what they would have got out of this.

I hope G's ok.

Anonymous said...

Having met G I am surprised that anyone would want to mess with him. He doesn't look like a pussycat Debi!
Confucious is right - a herd, flock, pod, of wankers or though asswipes may be a term that would also apply!
I personally have never felt the urge to kick a running man, or a walking man come to that and I despair that our society is so accepting of this - meaning what would the police do?

Caroline said...

I don't get this?
Why would anyone do it? It is obnoxious, arrogant and in all honesty it terrifies me.
I am scared for my children.
And what's worse, is that I am hearing about this kind of thing more and more. I want to live in a Lighthouse and never speak to anyone again. I would still blog though :)

Anonymous said...

I hope G makes a good recovery, Debi.
I can only guess here, but it looks like a case of "if you can't join 'em, beat 'em". So, jealousy as to G's fitness level which they could never hope to match therefore they could only take a boot at it, given their distorted view of life?
Thus G got the upper hand - he proved their lack of fitness...
But as I said, just guessing...

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I wish I'd never come back to this country! Why on earth does our society put up with this kind of behaviour? This kind of scum doesn't deserve the same kind of freedom as those who try to lead decent, honest lives.