Monday, May 12, 2008

Truth or Dare

I've never bought a property, so my personal experience of estate agents is limited to their reputation for twisting the truth.

So I was surprised yesterday to see an ad in a window describing a house as 'smells like an ashtray'.

Did they have an attack of conscience?
Had they swallowed some sort of truth serum?

Imagine if such a thing existed ...
It could be force fed to lying politicians, cheating partners, manipulative bosses, flattering friends ...
Though I wonder sometimes if it's better not to know ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, wouldn't it be great - would put a whole new spin on things. I'd sooner hear that and then you know what you're dealing with and can brace yourself so to speak.

But could do with going on a course to put me on the right road for when people want an honest opinion or advice, try very hard to be tactful but just doesn't come out right. So have learnt half a dozen stock phrases to use, feel very inadqate about this, but am trying.

It's a bit like those anti aging creams,feel they should tell the truth. You won't look like Liz Hurley, look 10 years youngers - but on the good side your purse will be several pounds lighter ha, ha. Do you think that would work as an advertising slogan? Be very honest if you want.

Debi said...

Ha! On the one hand I'd certainly rather be kicked in the teeth than stabbed in the back.

OTOH - if someone came up to me and said, 'My, your bingo wings are coming on really well,' I'm not sure I'd be all that grateful for their honesty!