Thursday, July 26, 2007

Space - the final frontier

When we go away, our ancient Volvo estate (Helga) is stuffed to the gunwales with camping equipment, so that there's barely enough room for our hair and it takes a masterpiece (actually usually a mistresspiece) of design and organisation to fit everything in.

We've always known our holidaying lives would be transformed by one of those sleek aero-dynamic roof box thingys.

But they're SO expensive.
And neither of us earn money over the summer, so we'd decided - yet a again - that it's out of the question.

I'd emailed the boss man at the consultancy I do freelance critiques for to say I wouldn't be available for further edits until September.
The email must have crossed in the post/ether.
Because a couple of days ago a 400 page MS thudded through the letter box.

The Bad News
I have to get this completed before we go away.
I can't/won't take it with me.
And I don't want to go away knowing I'd have to come straight back to it.
And it's b-i-g ...
I foresee some very late nights over the next few days.

The Good News
We bought the roof box with the extra £££!

You know the Bob Marley song that includes the line:
We'll be together with a roof right over our heads?

My dear friend, Ch, once admitted to me she'd always thought the lyric was:
With a roof rack over our heads ...

Guess what the theme tune for this summer's hols is going to be ...

7 comments:

Meloney Lemon said...

Somewhere to keep the underpants!

(fasten those bolts securely.)

Unknown said...

Guess what the theme tune for this summer's hols is going to be ...

Err, No roof box, no cry?

Unknown said...

We're all going on a roofbox summer ...no more editing for a week or two...
Yes, yes, I know it's not Bob Marley!

Unknown said...

Are you coming? Is it soon? I am waiting.

Jan said...

Have a good one.

Debi said...

4 nights up to 2am doing the edit and now frantically writing the report.

After all that, problems at the pool have meant that G has lost several hours teaching which will balance out any money left over after the roof box is paid for. Pah!

Unknown said...

Funnily enough, I always used to sing it like that too - a roof rack over our heads.