Sunday, June 03, 2007

Sandi says ...

That clever Sandi Toksvig made me laugh at Hay and now she's gone one better by making me nod my head in agreement so violently it nearly rolled off onto the floor to nestle under the chest of drawers along with the fluff balls ...

I've retrieved it now and it's back on my shoulders so I can share the quote with you.

When asked about how she felt about her looks, Sandi replied,

'Too many women have wept good time away worrying about the physical when they could have been reading - or, better yet, writing - a good book.'

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So right there. Due to media and the old lookism thing again, squillions of people are made to fell inadquate because they don't conform to the 'beauty ideal'. I know some people have cosmetic surgery for health reasons which is all well and good.

Get out, pick up a book, put the radio on, get away from the mirror. Aggrivates me to the point of disbelief how people get so wrapped up with looks. Especially with 'victim' tv, such as Make yourself look 10 years younger, Trinny and Susannah. OK, we all want to look good, but it's not a crime to be size 16+, have grey hair, a few saggy bits, etc. The thing is to feel good about yourself and I feel these programmes and the media need to address this. But having a look at some of these so called 'style gurus' I hope I never get stuck on a desert island with one. Hope, I get the pile of books and Jo Brand at least you'd be on for a laugh and she looks the sort that could get a good camp fire going.

Marie said...

I agree. Knowledge is power.

Unknown said...

I think I love Miss Toksvig.

granny p said...

Just picked this up.. What a pity I haven't always followed her advice. Tend to think my head would look better rolling on the floor. (Maybe the books would be better too.) Love your version anyway

Debi said...

There we go - 4 comments from 4 wonderful women who don't care about the fluff bunnies in their hair.

Quite right too ...