Wednesday, June 13, 2007

An addition to our family

I've cracked.

I've adopted one of the Shameless lions.

I resisted for ages.

I'm too busy, I told myself.
I have to focus.
I need discipline.
I'm blogging too much and writing too little.

But then I popped into Shameless's blog in an unguarded moment.

And saw that 44 out of 48 lions had been adopted.
And there were over 100 comments on the original post!

Just about all my long-term blogmates had their own lion ...

I couldn't stand it.
The fact is, I just didn't want to be left out ...

So I'm now the proud adopter of Shimshon!

His name is the Hebrew version of Samson ...
... strong, with rippling muscles and a tumbling mane of hair.

First Born, having just turned 12, will be celebrating his barmitzvah next year.
He will read the portion in the synagogue that corresponds with his Hebrew birthday (according to the lunar calendar).

His portion is ... Shimshon!

FB is half an inch shorter than me, weighs a stone more and has a shoe size 3 times larger.
He also has a tumbling mane of hair that cascades down his back.

So when we came to name our lion, there was only one real possibility ...
We don't believe in coincidence.

Meet Shimshon.

Here's my 48 word contribution to the Shameless Lions Writing Circle:

A LION CALLED SHIMSHON

- A lion? You've adopted a lion?
- Well, you always said you wanted a pet ...
- Yes, but I was thinking of goldfish ... maybe a hamster ...
- B-o-o-o-ring ...
- You said you'd never even have a dog!
- Too true, squire. They hump table legs and stick their noses in pooh.
Whereas lions ...

11 comments:

S. Kearney said...

Lovely story behind the naming of your lion, Debi. :) I'm sure he will only bring good things to you and your family. I am putting up your words on your listing straight away. Roar! There are now just TWO lions left. Wow. Glad you got in in time.

Debi said...

Shimshon is going to be watching over me every time I sit at my laptop to write, Shamey. Hopefully he'll keep me in check. Roar!

Meloney Lemon said...

So - Joe The Lion.
Hello Shimshon.

Unknown said...

I knew you'd cave!

Anonymous said...

Truly original post, Debi!
BTW the Penguin blog is the Typepad featured blog today (or maybe yesterday) - the current post is "what makes a good author blog" -- I may link to this on Petrona later if I get the chance, but have taken the opportunity to comment there in case I don't.
All best
Maxine.

Unknown said...

Nice one Debi - lovely words and great post as usual. What a lovely link between the lion and FB. :)

Dina's book should be with you soon! I posted it on Wednesday

Unknown said...

Aw! You picked a nice one Debi and I like the poem. Say hi to Shimson from me.

Anonymous said...

Magnificent beast, Debi. Good choice. Liked your story too. Hope you're all very happy together.

Debi said...

Shimshon and I sent thanks and love to all.

Lisa Cohen said...

Ahhh, synchronicity! Best of luck to your son on his upcoming rite of passage. We survived my eldest's bar mitzvah last october. And since then, he's suddenly towering over me. It's funny looking at pictures from 8 months ago and seeing that he's morphed from child into man. Shimson is a handsome lion.

best regards from Lisa and Lucidus Keen

Roary Lyon said...

Hi, would you please pass this note along to Shimshon? I invite him to come visit me on my new blog, The Literary Lion of Lyon. He would probably recognize me from the blog’s title, but tell him Roary sent the invitation. Thanks.

Roary ^..^