Sunday, April 29, 2007

Dreams, themes and schemes

I have this dream.
I've had it - oh, like for ever.

But considering what's happening to our planet it's become ever more urgent to find different and more sustainable ways to live.

So this is my dream.

There's this large bunch of diverse people.

We have this plot of land in a beautiful location.
On this land, we have an allotment where we grow all our own veg.
We have solar and wind power and generate all our own energy.
We each have our own home that we have built ourselves.

Though there is a degree of collectivity, we have autonomy in our own homes and over our own lives.

We compost, recycle and reuse.

Between us all we have the skills to build, garden, plumb etc.
Everybody will have their own skills or resources to contribute.
Some may bring more £££ - others will work harder.
(From each according to their means.)

Some may need or choose to have jobs outside the community.
Others will be able to work from home (me!) or on the land (me again).

Inevitably there will be some disagreements.
But we'll work them out.
Because we'll be a real community based on altruistic principles and mutual support.

Some people might think it sounds like a nightmare.
Others might say it could never work.

But I think it's a lovely dream.

Anyone share my dream?

The image “http://www.tahoetwisters.com/NaturePhoto/LargePhotos/lg_double_rainbow2.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you use to sit in trees and discuss this with me about sixteen years ago when I was at UNI. I'm totally there with you Debi. Now how the hell am I going to get that word verification word right?!

Anonymous said...

cool man :)

don't forget the greenery ;)

Unknown said...

Ah yes, have talked this out over the dinner table with friends many a time. It is a subject we return to often but have so far not made any move to making the dream a reality. The rat race has us by the short and curlies!

Marie said...

I definitely share your dream, Debi. Great post.

The Wandering Author said...

Debi, I agree it is a great dream. The only caveat I would add is this: depending on how much of a mess society winds up in, you could find you need more resources / skills than it would seem at first glance.

Making something like this work, through any catastrophe history suggests the community might face, would require very careful planning.

Unknown said...

Wandering Author, I think you were in that tree too!

The Moon Topples said...

A beautiful dream, stopped by the fact that our demons often shout down our better angels (to borrow a phrase).

Also, I posted what you said about rejection slips, and Caroline called me a liar. She said it's six. I told her my money is on you.

And finally, if I'm allowed a third topic, I wanted to remind (or inform) you and your readers about the GBA(s)FC #2, which kicks off May 1st over on my blog. Hope to see you there.

Sorry to post off-topic (twice).

Meloney Lemon said...

This is a topic too big for a screen...a park would do..and a rug ..and a picnic...

Debi said...

I tell you what really scares me - that I might get to the end of my life and find I never managed to make it happen.

Unknown said...

I like Meloney's idea of a park and a rug and making it happen, but after reading about your coot incident above I'm scared of your park!

Anonymous said...

Debi, I've had a dream something like that for a long time and I certainly would consider joining your project if it became a reality. But one part of me always raises doubts such as: would it mean losing my hard-won independence? Ideally it wouldn't.Anyway,I'm interested!

Steerforth said...

It's my dream too, as long as it doesn't involve men with beards and people who call themselves healers.

The happiest time of my life was university, when I lived in a small community of like-minded people. I've spent my whole life wanting to get that back.