Friday, February 27, 2009

A brief literary break

Since I made the decision back in November to devote my blog to documenting my experiences during and after the Grenadian revolution (1982-1986) I've been neglecting my duties as a lit blogger.

What can I say? I only have one blog and we only get one life (maybe).

But here are some of the things I would have been blogging about if circumstances had been different.

I went to the launch of Rosy Barnes' new book, Sadomasochism for Accountants (great title, eh?) at the Poetry Cafe. Rosy was resplendent in feather boa and killer heels, the wine flowed freely, the company was to die for and the entertainment culminated in two men, wearing nothing but bowler hats and ties waving their tinsel-clad crucial bits at the assembled throng. (Not a typo - I did mean 'throng' not 'thong'.)

And I'm not lying about that performance, which took place in a tiny space crammed with people. All around me I could hear jostling and muttered complaints of, 'I can't see. I can't see.'

Oh, and Rosy's book is highly recommended and is seriously funny - a contradiction in terms, I know but check out this sentence if you don't believe me:

The most memorable thing about Paula's appearance is its striking lack of memorableness, sliding from the senses like an extra mild cheddar or a wall painted white with a hint of beige.

Rosy and I have been having an email conversation about the very different ways we each use humour in our writing. You can see the result here. It covers a lot of angles I've been meaning to blog about for ages and never got round to. (See above re only having the one life ...)

Elsewhere, Elizabeth Baines has been zapping round cyberspace on her virtual tour to promote her wonderful book of short stories, Balancing on the Edge of the World, which I mentioned here. You can follow her travels on the Cyclone site here, but for the ultimate in gold standard tour hosts, check out Sarah Salway's warm, in depth, thought provoking and witty interview here.

I'm delighted to announce that, following Tania Hershman's tour which stopped by this blog here, Elizabeth will be appearing here on 11th March, at which point there will be another brief break from the Revo Blog posts.

And then in April, I will be hosting yet another author, John Baker, whose new book, Winged with Death, will be published at the end of March.

Meanwhile, Emma Darwin has been busy promoting A Secret Alchemy. Emma and I have a fair bit in common. We're both members of the BloggersWithBookDeals forum, we both do freelance critiques for The Writers' Workshop, we live in the same Real Life road - and we're both authors, of course. (But she has a far more famous great great grandfather than I have.)

Oh - and Clare Sudbery is going to appear on Countdown! Daytime TV won't know what hit it ...

I'd like to thank Emma and Clare for their generously-worded links to the Revo Blog. Emma's is here and Clare's is here.

While I'm in thanking mode, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has taken the trouble to read and comment on the Revo Blog. Your support is greatly appreciated. I know the posts are hard to read - all I can say is they're a helluva lot harder to write ...

Special heartfelt thanks go to all those on the BWBD forum who have supported, encouraged, soothed and commiserated - and much more - over these last months. Without that support and the refuge of a safe place to freak out knowing I won't be judged the weaker for it I honestly don't know if I could have done all this. (You know who you are!)

And speaking of BWBD, Bookarazzi, the public face of the forum, is in the process of being jazzed up, thanks to the hard work and techy abilities of the wonderful Lucy Pepper (who is living proof that geeks can be gorgeous too). Check out the new look. There's also a regular Lit Bits post, with a roundup of launches, events, news etc coming up in the month ahead. Feb's is here and what a busy month it's been. Keep an eye open for March's - coming soon to a screen near you.

Thanks for hanging on in here with me during this journey where I attempt to bring the past into the present. I'm not quite sure how long it will be before the Revo posts are finished or what will happen then, but the Debi you knew before is still here lurking in the background!

6 comments:

Elizabeth Baines said...

Debi, I'm really looking forward to coming to your blog, and feel really privileged to do so in the middle of your wonderful Revo postings which are entirely riveting.

Nik Perring said...

Wow! That was some round up! Looking forward to seeing Elizabeth here.

Nik

Anonymous said...

Hi Debi
I just wanted to drop in to say how much I enjoyed reading your Revo posts. I did not comment as the story was kind of "too big to comment" - well, I could not think of anything sensible to say. But I did very much enjoy reading the posts, and was really drawn in. I hope you will be creating a book of them.

Emma Darwin, Darwin, I am pretty Darwined out as you can imagine, but it is all fantastic! Hooray for science!

Liane Spicer said...

Lots of great writerly goings-on to read about and look forward to. (Um, the two men at Rosy's launch weren't wearing anything else? Really? My, how exciting!)

I've been trying to get the Bookarazzi logo to copy to my blog and it wouldn't. Now all I have to do is copy yours from this post. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

What I don't understand, Debi, is how you've been doing all this AND blogging the Revo. And it's not as if when I see you're whizzing along like a blue streak - more like calmly walking down the road!

(Darwinned out - I know the feeling.)

Debi said...

Elizabeth - thanks for that. I have to confess I'm been feeling very guilty that I haven't been giving you the attention you deserve.

Nik - there's a lot going on, eh? I feel the need for a lie down in a darkened room.

Maxine - hi! Great to see you. And of course I do understand that people feel the Revo Posts are too huge to comment on. Really not sure if they will ever be in a book. I can't see further than recording them here so that they are freely accessible to anyone who Googles.

Liane - ah, you would have SO loved Rosy's launch. Tho I can imagine you knocking people out of the way rather than craning your neck and complaining.

Emma - oh, I do far more than all this. And I don't know how either. Oh - and you're my favourite Dar-winner of course!