Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Spex appeal

One of the consequences of getting older is facing the inevitability of a certain choice:
you either get much longer arms ...
... or you get reading glasses.

I'm not vain but I can be quite lazy so I chose the latter rather than shift all my long-sleeve clothes to the summer end of the wardrobe.

In fact, I'm so 'not vain' that if I'm reading outdoors I wear my shades and my glasses.
(Another consequence of getting older is that you don't care so much about looking ridiculous.)

But there are disadvantages.
I don't lose my glasses that often but I do have an irritating tendency to lose the case.
You can hang your glasses round your neck on a chain, but you'd look really stupid if you did that with the case.
And where would you stop?
Keys? Wallet? Tissues? Bottle of water?
All ending up dangling from your neck?
You'd end up with a season ticket to the osteopath ...

A friend of mine has one of those chain things and also keeps a spare pair of glasses at work.
Trouble is, whenever she uses them she forgets they're not the ones on the chain and spends the day flinging them on the floor.

More often than not, I shove mine on top of my head and only occasionally forget they're there.

Last night I was saying goodnight to da boyz.
As I kissed and cuddled LG on the bottom bunk, my glasses tumbled from my head.
Somehow they shot behind his pillow and through the tiny gap between bed and wall.

What you have to bear in mind is that their room is cluttered.
Very cluttered.
Every square inch is taken up.
If you want to move anything of significance you have to shift everything in the entire room.

Suffice to say, it was over half an hour later when their light was eventually switched off and my specs, with new must-have cobweb accessories (it's the latest thing, darling) were returned to their rightful place on my nose.

Now, has anyone seen where I left the case?

10 comments:

Sharon J said...

I'd help you look for it but I can't find my glasses.

Debi said...

Ha! You daft brush, they're on your nose! I can see them from here ...

But only cos mine are too - um - on my nose, not yours that is. Whoever would've thought this could be so complicated ... mutter mumble ...

Unknown said...

Glasses, at least, become part of our bodies and we don't tie anything else down to stop it escaping! As for the case - buy ten, just to be on the safe side.

Unknown said...

I'm working on growing longer arms, that way I can lose the damned glasses and not worry too much!

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

In summer, Top Bloke has always worn his sunglasses on his head when indoors, so he doesn't lose them. He has recently added reading glasses into the equation, so can often be found at the computer or reclining on the sofa, reading glasses on nose - and sunglasses still on head. It's his Professor Branestawm look (blimey I AM old!).

Debi said...

Minx - glasses are part of our bodies? Really? So which part of me slid down into Cobweb City?

Ab Van - but when you come to the UK you're going to need those long-sleeve jumpers, y'know.

Zin - TB is clearly a kindred spirit.

Unknown said...

I'll buy jumpers with extra long sleeves - or where long gloves with my jumpers! Got to think laterally, y'know! ;-)

Unknown said...

I got so fed up losing mine that I ended up wearing them permanently. I like the way the world looks though, when I take them off. Slightly fuzzy.

Me and Minx are working on a plan...

Unknown said...

It doesn't look like our masterplan of a IRL/UK blog meet in Cornwall the week after next is going to come off now. Sorry Debi, the oirish one lost her glasses and can't find her way here!!

Debi said...

Ab Van - nothing daunted - that's the spirit.

Babs - don't know how to tell you this, but if you check your avatar you'll see that the glasses are not actually covering your eyes. Bit of a pre-requisite, I'd've thought ...

Minx! Oh! Good job I didn't know about the possibility in advance so I don't have to be too disappointed ...