Thursday, February 22, 2007

At last - a stand against the trafficking

You may remember I've posted before about the UK government's refusal to sign up to the European Convention against Trafficking.

Good news! They've finally agreed to sign!

It won't mean the end of the global sex trade in the UK of course, nor will it guarantee that women in this situation will be properly protected or that those exploiting them will be brought to justice.

But it's a huge and very important step. Would they have made it without the pressure brought to bear by those who cared enough to support the campaigns and make their feelings known?

According to Tim Hancock, the Campaigns Director at Amnesty International UK:

'Trafficking in people is a vicious and well organised crime which is causing untold human misery around the world and right here in the UK.

The UK signing up to the European Convention will help ensure that victims of this pernicious trade in people receive some protection when they escape or are rescued here in the UK.

It should end the uncertainty victims have faced in the past where they were not recognised as victims of crime and faced possible immigration detention and deportation.

Signing up and guaranteeing protection for these vulnerable people is the right thing for the UK to do.

Trafficking victims who receive protection may also be much better able to help the police with further enquiries and prosecutions.

We look forward to the speedy ratification of the European Convention Against Trafficking by the UK, and the implementation of all its provisions. We need to look at the detail of the government's commitment, which we hope will be more than the bare minimum required by the Convention.'

Hear, hear!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's good news and thanks for letting us know.

Unknown said...

Good news, indeed!

Debi said...

Indeed it is!

I'm sure you know I'll be watching to see how this all pans out and will let you know further developments.

S. Kearney said...

About time, is all I can say!

Confucious Trevaskis said...

Well it's a start at least......

Anonymous said...

Hi Debi, coincidence that I've just left a note on your 28 January 2006 (six!)rant about Guardian review of Trading Tatiana. I mention it here as I guess otherwise you're not likely to notice it.
I've done my 'review' over there, I'll just say here that novels like yours help to bring home teh real tragedy behind all this. As one of your characters says there: "They're women, they're prostitutes, they're foreign... worthless, in other words."

But... according to your Guardian reviewer, weren't you supposed to have lost interest in this subject after using it as 'any old cause' for 'effect'???

Oh bloody hell, I have to copy squiggles to get out of this box again.

Debi said...

Steve - you wonderful man! Thank you so much - comments are emailed to me so I had seen the one you did to my ancient post. (Check it out in the Jan 2006 archives, folks.)

So can you be my Spanish connection??? You said you would email me - I'd be delighted to hear from you. Incidentally, my 3rd book (for which I don't have a deal as yet) is partly set in Spain ...

Once again - the comments you left have really uplifted me. The scars from that review have long healed but they're still visible if you know where to look. You looked and applied soothing balm. It means a great deal. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Gosh, I haven't been called a wonderful man for... well, let's see, Suez was '56, I think it was a bit before...
Will try to email tomorrow. But this might be interestin g for your fans. 'Found' you because El Tercer Nombre is also going to publish a novel of mine, Fisher of Devils, and I decided to check them out a bit, and one link somehow led to your post about your translation, which it seems you knew nothing about! Most odd.
But here's the interesting thing. Your translator (who will also be mine!)- the old reckero (he was hurt, poor chap) - last week lent me your book in English, as it was his enthusiastic book report that helped persuade TN to publish you (he ha d no idea yuy didn't know about it). Fear not, he's a very good translator. Indeed I read Tatiana mainly in English but also partly in spanish (because I begged a spanish copy off teh TN editor) and I assure you you haven't lost much in translation! But now the bugger, instead of slaving through the night translating my book, is off on a kind of working holiday in Brazil! Shocking.
But glad if my comments made you feel better.

Debi said...

Steve - you're more than wonderful! I'll say it as many times as you can handle.

I wish you loads of luck with your book. Do please email me at info at debialper dot co dot uk. I'd love to hear more.

That's brilliant feedback about the translator. Of course I love him too now and hope you're not jealous!

Anonymous said...

Oh bugger! And he's younger than me! Tarnation! But you loved me first!!

Will email after I've dried my tears. Though not much more to tell you.

Right - last time I was forced to copy different squiggles four times in order to post message! Here we go...

Debi said...

Steve - he's probably younger than me too (though I still lerve him bad!).

But of course you never forget your first so rest assured - my heart is more than big enough for the both of you.

Sorry Blogger's being such a bugger. Don't take it personally. It's a test of our resolve ...