Thursday, March 31, 2011

Post York Posts - success stories!

Some wonderful news to share!

I met Sean Walsh at York 2010 in a Book Doctor session and was blown away by his children's fantasy book, Peripherealm, and his mind-blowing illustrations.  I worked with him during the year, in the course of which we cut 50,000 words.  (It was a very long book!)  Then he started pitching.  As the rejections started coming in, I don't know how many times I had to convince him not to give up.

He came to York again this year and ... well, let's just say I wasn't going to let the opportunity pass to ensure Sean's book got the attention I was convinced he deserves.

And ... to cut a long story square, as my dad would say ... Sean has now been signed up, just a day after the Festival, by David Headley!
See full story, including Sean's own response, here.

That's not all my good news.  I have another example of how persistance  will pay off, if your book is good enough and you are committed to doing whatever it takes to make it the best it can possibly be.  Another children's author with whom I've worked has also been signed up with an agent.  Katherine Hetzel had a Writers' Workshop edit with Michelle Lovric and then 2 further edits and extended conversations with me before she began pitching.  I'm too modest *cough* to repeat here what she said about the part I played in enabling her book to reach its potential, but I will say what an absolute joy it is to be a part of these journeys and to know that I've had a role to play.  WordCloud link to this news is here.

One last story.  It doesn't end with an agent signing an agreement, like Sean and Katherine's, though who knows what's around the corner?  Do you remember me telling you about DW?  The man who was determined to prove me wrong when I suggested he may not be ideally suited to writing fiction?

DW tracked me down at York and with great glee told me that 2 agents had asked to see more of the MS he pitched to them that we have been working on together.  I've never been so pleased to be proved wrong.

So - whoever you are and wherever you are - don't ever give up.  The right words, in the right time and the right place, and you too can experience this magic.

PS: feedback from York is now up on the Festival site.

10 comments:

Queenie said...

Lovely to hear such good news, congratulations to all!

David said...

Debi, nice to get a mention in dispatches, I will continue to haunt you!
Full submission now made to Tom Chalmers of Legend Press following one 2 ones.
Now joined Word Cloud - time perhaps to put the head above the literary parapet!
DW

Debi said...

David - feel free to haunt me! I can't wait for the next stage of Sean's story. And I've written on your WordCloud wall, so remind me, who's doing the haunting?

Sean said...

Glad to hear that you feel my story still has a little left in the tank.

Good luck to David, this success seems to be catching.

Debi said...

Sean - I know you've been working in Peripherealm for a long time, but believe me, your personal journey to becoming a published author has just begun!

Sean said...

Good grief! I will definitely be calling on your encouragement for some time yet then!
All sounds very exciting. Let the fun begin!
All this positivity has got the creative juices flowing again, and the second book you'll be badgering me about is beginning to take shape. No rest for the wicked.

Debi said...

Gotcha! No escape now.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Defesa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Briana said...

Very thouughtful blog