Thursday, June 11, 2009

I'm having a domestic

There's a cold front a'comin' - on the hottest days of the year.

In brief (because spending this much time and energy on household appliances bores me to shreds) we bought a new fridge from Comet and had it delivered.

It didn't work.

Nor did its replacement.

In between, cue hours and hours on the phone trying to get round Comet's inflexible systems so that we could end up with a working fridge without bureaucratic entanglements necessitating engineer call outs, returns to the store etc etc.

After much angst, we finally got our money back and a new (Working! Yay!) fridge elsewhere. My 3 page letter of complaint to Comet's Head Office, enclosing receipts for the £65+ of food we had to throw away - not to mention details of the numerous phone calls, 4 days spent waiting for delivery or engineer, 3 weeks with no working fridge and massive stress and frustration) they've offered me compensation ... £20.

Yep, twenty measly quid. Pah!

But at least we now have a cold fridge.

Except that yesterday I noticed the warning light was blinking - on our freezer!

Bet you can't guess where I'm NOT going for a replacement ...

Seems I'm not alone. Just try Googling 'Comet complaints'.

8 comments:

Queenie said...

Bit hot under the collar? Er... sorry. Our local CAB now takes up problems via email, it might be worth checking whether yours does; even if they don't take action on it, they can record it as a policy issue which can contribute to changes being made eventually. Trading Standards might also be useful, but I expect you've thought of all this already so I'll shut up and go away now, bye!

Maxine Clarke said...

John Lewis, every time (they have an online site). They price-match, and their customer service is very good. Also do good length of guarantees.

Debi said...

Cold snap, Queenie!

I'm sorely tempted to take it further but having had a quick glance at the many unresolved online moans about Comet, I realised I had to either let go of my determination to make them SUFFER - or alternatively let go of my will to live ...

Lovely new pic, Maxine!

Unknown said...

You should send an email to You and Yours on Radio 4. Highlighting the fact that they have such bad customer service might force them to rethink their customer service options and their rubbish appliances. Surely in the current economic climate they should be trying to improve things not make them worse! Are they trying to run themselves into the ground?

Liane Spicer said...

Unbelievable that this has gone on for so long. Bloody unbelievable. Maybe because I used to think that kind of thing only happened out here.

Debi said...

It's the enormous drains on my scarce and valuable time and energy that I resent.

I could take this on and slug it out with them but I have to add up the numbers of hours spent against how much compensation I could wring from them. Not enough. Pah!

Unknown said...

Aaaargh! Nothing worse than dealing with this sort of pooh! Perhaps some kind of civil action is need against Comet!

Debi said...

I don't feel very civil, Ab Van, I can tell you ...