Thursday, September 20, 2007

(de)sign of the times

I stepped well out of my usual sphere yesterday, socially, geographically and culturally.

Mel and I were invited to the press launch I told you about here.

I tried to do my posh totty impersonation (always doomed to failure) ...
... while Mel donned a Guantanamo orange jacket.

She said she looked like she'd been tango-ed.
I said she looked gorgeous.

I love things like this on one level.
All those people I'd never usually rub shoulders with ...
All those conversations I'd never usually be able to eavesdrop on ...

Although I'd give anything for a cloak of invisibility.
Oh to see without being seen ...

It was all achingly hip.
But there was nowhere to sit that didn't have a hefty price tag, so I could only manage aching hips ...

It's a fascinating juxtaposition:
30 Fuse designers exhibiting the Next Best Thing in lampshades, furniture, flying ducks and much more ...
at Partridge Fine Arts- one of the most venerable antiques dealers out there.
The future meets the past in the present.

Mel and I had a hideous Mr Bean moment.

As we gazed at our reflections in a huge ornate mirror (a snip at £550,000) we tried to work out what it would take to create a new record:
Most damage done by 2 mildly pissed bloggers demonstrating the domino effect at an exclusive antiques gallery -
ie if I tripped over this chair, fell onto this table which upended, sending that massive vase hurtling onto that mirror, which then crashed down onto this sideboard ...

Anyway, the exhibition continues to 25th September and entry is free so go and check it out.
Carefully ...

(PS Thanks to Flying Monkey for the invite.)

9 comments:

Meloney Lemon said...

Wow that's the most diplomatic piece of blogging I've seen for a while.

Unknown said...

Two beans on tour. Ruh Roh!

Anonymous said...

may i tag you with a meme? i'd like to know more about you as a writer.

Debi said...

Mel - not often I get called diplomatic.

Minx - random thought trail - two beans to old farts in one easy move.

c.s. - thanks. I'd like to get to know more about me as a writer too. Will respond as soon as I find out.

Unknown said...

Oh your poor aching hips! You poor dear and good job you only imagined your Mr. Bean moment, from the way you describe it, this is a place I should NOT visit, too much of a risk.

Unknown said...

Oh how I chortled my way through this witty piece... lufflee!

S. Kearney said...

Debs, there's a new writing project up at The Shameless Lions Writing Circle site. Please check it out and I hope you can take part and promote it. Also, check out the "latest news" section.

Anonymous said...

hi mum, it's me. please reply

Debi said...

Hello, sweet First Born! I see you've been working hard at school then ...