Sunday, February 14, 2010

Puff the Magic Dragon

I'm under no illusions. I know perfectly well that the one thing that could make a difference to my ears as well as my general health would be to stop smoking.

I assumed all smokers knew that. Surely there are none of us left still in denial ...

Check this conversation I had yesterday while huddled in the cold with a fellow addict.

Her: I've got a hole in my lung.
Me: Oh dear. Shouldn't imagine smoking is a good idea ...

Her: Aha! That's where you're wrong. my doctor told me on no account should I give up smoking.

Me: Really?

Her: Yep. Apparently, the tar is blocking up the hole. If I stop, the tar would go and the hole would open up and get bigger.

Me: And the doctor told you this?

Her: (rolling another fag) Yep. I've got asthma too. I've only got about 60% lung function. D'you know what the doctor told me to do if I have an asthma attack?
Me: Let me guess. He told you to smoke a fag.

Her: Yep. He said that way I'm concentrating on taking deep breaths in.

Me: Was this by any chance the same doctor who told you about the tar ...?

Now, like I said, I'm not in denial about the health-giving properties of tobacco, but any activity that has the upside of giving you insights like the above conversation has to have something going for it ...

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm... just hmmm.

Queenie said...

I knew about the lungs, but I didn't realise giving up smoking could make a difference to your hearing. I guess that provides a bit of motivation - but maybe not enough? As someone who found it very hard to give up after smoking not a great deal for less than a decade, I can imagine how difficult it must be.

Liane Spicer said...

Crikes. It's a whole other world, the smokers' version. Glad I never acquired that vice. Now chocolate is another matter altogether.

Jen said...

SOunds as if that 'doctor' should have a nicotine patch clamped firmly over his mouth?!

Debi said...

Nicky - yeah, I know ...

Queenie - it might not make a difference to my hearing but I know it can't help.

Liane - welcome to my world.

Spiral - ha!!!