Tuesday, September 29, 2009

My Mum

My Mum had a very expressive sniff.
With one sharp intake of breath through her nostrils, she could say more than most people do in acres of rambling speech.

My Mum used to tease my Dad about his lack of SOA (Spirit of Adventure).
Life had to have a full quota of fun and laughter.

My Mum always wore an apron;
Utilitarian ones for everyday use and frilly, lacy jobs for special occasions.

My Mum loved school.
She was devastated when she was taken out aged 12, on the grounds that girls didn't need an education.

My Mum was determined her children should have the opportunities denied to her.
She loved writing stories, but never did.

My Mum would have had a brilliant relationship with G.
She would have 'got' him, sorted him out.

My Mum would have been besotted by my children.
And they would have adored her.

My Mum loved this time of year, when families gather together to celebrate the New Year.
She would have preened and basked in a way she never had the chance to do in life.

My Mum died eighteen years ago today.

(NOTE: This should have been published on the English anniversary of Mum's death on Sunday. She would have been blown away to know she was the subject of a blog post.)

10 comments:

Queenie said...

You left one thing out, Debi: your Mum would have been very, very proud of you - of everything you have achieved in the last 18 years as a writer, mother, partner, daughter, campaigner, and friend.

Big hugs for a difficult anniversary, even if it was two days ago.

Debi said...

Thanks, Yer Maj. I do know that's true. She would indeed have basked. Just such a shame she couldn't have had a slice of the nuches (untranslatable) during her life ...

Kate said...

I am sending you a huge hug. As Queenie said I am sure your mother would have been so proud of how talented you are.

Thanks for making me appreciate how lucky I actually am.

Kate xx

Unknown said...

I agree with Queenie, she would have been so proud of you. This is such alovely post, she'd have loved it, alright.

Sue Guiney said...

What a wonderful post. Thanks for letting us share a bit of her with you. xo

Tania Hershman said...

Debi,
what a beautiful blog post, thank you for introducing us to your Mum. I know this sounds corny, but I am sure she is getting the "naches" anyway... how could she not?!

T x

Debi said...

She would also be very comforted to know that I have such wonderful support from friends such as all of you. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post, Debi. And I hope you have lots of nuches from your children. ~Miriam

Liane Spicer said...

And a hug from me, Debi. Your mum must have been special - she raised a special daughter.

Debi said...

I definitely do, Miriam. Thank you.

Liane - hope your mum enjoyed my mum's apple cake recipe. And you're pretty damn special yourself ...