Saturday, January 20, 2007

2007 - the year of wish fulfillment

I decided 2007 was going to be the year of wish fulfillment before the old year had gasped its last.

And I'm delighted to tell you that so far it's living up to its designated title.

  • Well now I've been emailed by the PR at El Tercer Nombre. Wow! Direct contact at last!
  • Apparently, 2 Spanish radio networks want to interview me - but only if I speak fluent Spanish, so that's out. Shame ...
  • But 2 Spanish magazines - one national monthly and one online - also want to do interviews after they've read the book. If they're done by email, translation shouldn't be a problem. As long as they don't use Babel Fish ...
  • I hadn't wanted to admit, but I was struggling a bit with my current novel, Depth Charge. The plot revolves around local government corruption but the theme is blood relations. (As opposed to the alternative Nirvana family.) I was worried that I wasn't binding the two together effectively. Over the holidays, I read through the story so far and wrote the content (or intent) of each chapter in 3 or 4 words. Then a few days ago, I had a bathtime moment. For the first time in ages I jumped out and, still dripping, grabbed pen and paper and scribbled down an outline of where I was going as well as a later chapter that I'd visualised clearly. It works! You see, I'd forgotten. This panic always happens about 30-40,000 words in.
  • Remember I said I needed to find work? Debi got proactive. Think irons ... think fires ... I put my cv in at LG's school for possible classroon assistant work; I applied for a p/t charity finance worker job; on the advice of my agent, I contacted some of the literary consultancies. And guess what ... I have my first 90,000 word m/s to read and write a 3,000 word report on!
This is what I said the last time I posted about getting work:

So the harsh reality is that I'm going to have to look for a job. I can't see any way round it. I'll try to find something that fits in around the school hours. It would be good if it was local, so I don't have to spend hours travelling. It would be wonderful if it was related in some way to writing.

Blimey! This wish fulfillment thing is mighty strong medicine ... Pinch me ...

15 comments:

Suzan Abrams, email: suzanabrams@live.co.uk said...

Super news indeed,Debi.
And it's still only January.

Don't think you need to worry about those Spanish magazines. I'm sure the editors will arrange to have them done in English. :-)

Caroline said...

Do you remember when you told me to do a list???? That was when you became known as my fairy godmother.
You have fairy powers ;-)
Wish fulfillment is a wonderful thing. Sounds like you're in for a great year and I am happy happy for you.
Enjoy.
Cx

Unknown said...

Right wish fulfillement... Righty ho! I'll work on that. Meanwhile goodluck with the writing, but jumpin' out the bath? When I get into the bath I know it's going to be for a good long time, so I make sure I have everything I could possibly need around me in the next hour or so ... cheese sandwiches are now added to that list of necessities!

Unknown said...

That would be 'witch' power, Caroline.
Most people tend to think that asking for things is selfish. Adding to your own box of chocolates spreads happiness far and wide. How can that be wrong?

No pinching, Debi, just start looking for the next signpost - it's coming!

S. Kearney said...

Great news, Debi. Things can only go up!

I've always believed in the power of visualisation. If you can't see it, you won't get it! It's worked for me in all areas of my life except when it comes to getting a novel published!

Maybe words are in a smell category or touch category. So, I now go through bookshops touching lots of spines!

Anonymous said...

Again, congratulations Debi!

Some active and dogged pursuance of things on that list, methinks! Good on you! Make things happen.

All the best,
CFR

Debi said...

Whahey! Witch fulfillment!

Thanks to you all for travelling the road with me.

But I have 2 images in my brain that are distracting me ... One is of Verilion eating cheese sarnies in the bath ... And the other is Shameless, running his fingers up and down spines ...

Unknown said...

Cor bugger, I need to try some of this wish fulfillment stuff!
Glad I'm not the only to leap dripping out of the bath (or shower) to scrabble for pen and paper. Is it a writer's thing, do you think?

So glad the year is off to a good start - you deserve it!

Unknown said...

I'm still trying to summon up an image of you as a fairy, Debi. I just can't seem to get the Doc Marten boots out of me inner eye!

S. Kearney said...

You're right, Debi, the rubbing of the spines is causing all sorts of havoc! I may just go for the cheese sarnies ... but in the shower instead!

Unknown said...

Woohoo! You go girl - and you called me a ball-juggler? See what happens when you demand things from the world and widen your casting net!
I am so thrilled for you!

Marie said...

I'm so pleased for you, Debi.

Dave said...

You will be delighted to know your books are available at my obscure suburban library in Wellington, NZ. And seem quite popular, too.

Debi said...

Atyllah - chickens in the bath? More bizarre images darting through my consciousness.

Minx - oh yes, well you know I'd have to be a kick-arse kinda fairy ...

Shameless - not sure who's corrupting whom ...

Cailleach - ah, but do you juggle balls in the bath while eating cheese sarnies and tingling spines? Now there's a challenge.

Thanks, Marie.

Dave - you bet I'm delighted to hear that! An amazing feeling! Thanks for letting me know.

Confucious Trevaskis said...

Well done missis........good start to the year what?